Friday, June 6, 2008

Change In Our Lifestyle? It's coming!

Change! The first word that comes to mind when someone suggests change is, "Ouch!" That's right! Most of us resist change in any form! I have used Colgate toothpaste for most of my adult life and don't want to use any other brand. Why? Because I just don't! I am a Ford person! I have not purchased anything but a Ford product for the past 25 years or more. Is it because it is the best car on the road? Probably not! I just react slowly to change...very slowly!

That's why the coming changes in our lifestyle bother me and give me great reason to wonder how I will react! With fuel costs soaring at a record pace and $4.00 a gallon gasoline almost a thing of the past already, it means that I am going to have to change my driving habits! Slow down a little! Make fewer unnecessary trips to town! Rely on email or telephone communication to keep in touch with my family and friends! Get used to higher prices on every product due to the cost of delivery costs! Yes, change is coming!

Now, I know that I can adjust to these inevitable changes because I have done it in the past! Forty-three years ago today, I gave my heart and soul to a young lady that has been my bride ever since! I gave up a dream of being a high school English teacher that I had planned for in my youth. After five years of peace and quiet, Linda and I adopted two young boys with whom we have shared our lives! What a change! You see, I know I can adjust, the problem is that I don't want to change those things that are such a part of me!

This helps me understand the changes that people have made which are far greater and more difficult than the above. To be a better person some have given up friends, jobs, even neighborhoods! Others have replaced actions that have been a part of their lives for years with new and more blessed character traits! If my friends can adjust their lives so dramatically then I know I can do it, also!

Change is coming! Some "big" changes! So, get ready! It will not be "change for change" sake, it will be "change for necessity!"

2 comments:

Carol Van Atta, Princess Warrior said...

Life as we know it is most certainly changing. How do people do it without God? I, too, struggle with change, but, thankfully, as a daughter of the King, I have Him to rely on. God bless you!

Malsteem said...

Good Read. THank you for sharing it with us. Change happens and the greatest change in a person's life is that of following Christ Jesus.

-Mike