Monday, March 23, 2009

"Being God? What's That Like?"

I am wondering this morning what it must be like to be God. When you love everyone equally as much whether they are the "salt of the earth" or absolutely rotten, how does that work? When those that are so unlovable often react better than those who profess "their love for everyone," which do you appreciate more? When some folk perform legalistically every small word of a command and others totally ignore the most obvious, with whom are you the most disturbed? Sometimes it must be tough to be God!


After considering the above for a brief few moments, reality surfaced! I "know" what it is like to be God! That's right, I do not have to wonder because I already know! Let me explain...


I grew up hearing folk say that God came to earth in the "form" of Jesus (seemingly ignoring the fact that Jesus IS God!) to discover what it was like to be human. Now, as a child I was satisfied to accept that premise, but the older I got the more I realized that someone had missed a very, very important point. For God to be God, He had to know everything, right? Therefore, He had to know what it was like to be human without having to "come to this earth," right? Oops, the former premise has serious faults!

The fact is that Jesus did not come to earth to find out what it was like to be human, but he came to show us what it was like to be God! Does that not make more sense? I would never have known what it was like to be God without Jesus' demonstration of "God-likeness!" Someone noted, "Jesus put skin on God!"


This demonstration of being godly was highlighted by Jesus' service to others! Even though many equate being "God-like" with barking out orders for others to perform, it really is being on bended knee cleaning up the messes made by others! The custodian cleaning up some human filth is more like God than the one standing tall and telling others what he wants them to do.


So, as I wrote earlier, I "know" what it is like to be God...it is ministering to others!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Praying all is well with you and the family there in Williamsburg! Just saw many from We Care in Mesa, AZ Jan-Feb and your article reminds me so much of what God is like! HE came here to share with us and model that LOVE! So many of your family there in Williamsburg have also learned that example from Jesus and share that LOVE with others! Keep on!
Love,
Linda