Monday, May 4, 2009

"I'll Never Be A Mother...But I Can Wonder!"

For the 45th time, I am planning a "Mother's Day" sermon and each year I struggle with this task! One reason it is getting more difficult for me is because this is the second year in a row that I will not get to buy a card or send a bouquet of flowers to my Mom. I miss her greatly! As I sat in the quietness of my study checking out sermons that others have preached on this wonderful day of celebration, my mind began to wonder what it must be like to be a mother. No, I will never know because I am a 63 year old man, but I can still wonder!

I read recently some thoughts that others have had about being a mother and found them to be challenging. Here are a few of them:

"It takes about six weeks to get back to normal after having a baby...the truth is that once you are a mother, "normal" is history!" The thrill of birthing a human life must be an incredible experience, but things are never the same again. A mother's time is not her own! A mother's thoughts are always about someone else! A mother's love blooms and never fades!

"You cannot love a second child as much as you love the first one...the truth is the person who said this never had two or more children!" I have known some families with several children and each child seemed to have as much love as was needed. I guess love is something that a mother never runs out of because there is always enough for one more!

"The hardest part about being a mother is labor and delivery...that person has never watched her baby get on that big yellow school bus on his first day of school...nor has that person said good-bye to a son boarding a plane for Iraq or Afghanistan to fight for their country!" The travail of child birth seems light compared to the travail of the heart at separation.

"Your mother knows you love her, so you don't have to tell her...somone has never been a mother!" Trust me, you never quit telling your Mom that you loved her then and moreso now!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

No comments: