Monday, February 23, 2009

"Hey, what about me?"

In every mixed group of people there are always some very, very special ones, right? It could be that older friend who has such wonderful experiences to share with anyone who will listen and who enjoys sharing those same stories over and over again. Or, it could be that young couple who are beginning their marital journey and everything is new, refreshing, and exciting. What of that recent college graduate who is trying to secure her first employment in a market that is not as strong as it should be and she is worried about where this will lead. The list of people who enrich our lives is endless and each one's story is a precious part of our mental library.

There is one group of people that sometimes go overlook...quite unintentionally! Remember, as a child when we were told that we "should be seen and not heard?" That was a pretty tall order for some of us because we always had something to say...maybe not important to everyone, but, at least, to us. It was pretty frustrating to be ignored by all the "big" people around you, wasn't it? I wonder if we learned anything about that feeling of frustration.

I am blessed to have a lot of "kids" around me every week! Nope, I am not a teacher that is surrounded by children six hours a day, but I do get to interact with a lot of neat children two or three times a week...at church! You see, I am "Mr. Bill" to a pretty large (and getting larger) number of little gals and guys. I try to have something to say to each of them each time we meet if it is nothing more than a compliment regarding what they are wearing. (You can always tell when their mother's let them pick out the "uniform of the day!") But, you always tell them how good they look, right?

Last Sunday morning as I was greeting folk as they left the worship time, one little guy got my attention and I began scruffing his hair, calling him by name, and maybe a little tickling in his ribs. He laughed and went on as I spoke to his father, but he returned for another scruffing, tickling and a "How you doing, Elijah?" As I turned to some of the adults who were exiting, I heard a sweet little voice ask, "What about me?" I immediately recognized the voice, but continued greeting the "big" people, but another "Uh...what about me?" was heard. This time a bit more forceful and a bit louder! I turned and looked down and there stood Stephanie, the sweetest and cutest nine-year-old you could ever meet. Again, with a bit of smile, "What about me?" I knew she was waiting on her weekly hug from "Mr. Bill!" So, what was I to do, but hold up the line and give her a squeeze?

I relate this to you because I want you to consider the children of the world! This is a very tough world into which they have been born. Oh, I know their youthful exuberance does not allow them to know how tough things are for us "big" people, but they will find out...find out soon enough! Please, take some deliberate time for the little guys and gals of this world! Let them know that they are loved, important, and a blessing!

I am thinking of the passage in the Bible that says, "...and a little child shall lead them!" I have learned much about life from the "little ones" and some of those lessons have been difficult, but all of them have been valuable!

Remember, Jesus said, "...of such is the kingdom of heaven!" Wow! He never said that about any of us "big" people!

No comments: