Monday, February 9, 2009

"I Want To Pray...NOW!"

I wonder what we would do if a little lad expressed a desire to pray...RIGHT NOW! Would you say, "Well, I guess it depends upon where we were and what we were doing?" Maybe so, but I want to tell you about a very "special" little guy. My buddy, Brady, is probably six years old (I am guessing about his age) and I was privileged to count him among my friends while his father served in the military near Williamsburg, Virginia. At one time, my favorite "Brady story" was him trying to figure our what to call me. You see, most of our kids at church call me, "Mr. Bill," but Brady was torn between "Mr. Churchman" and "Mr. Preacher." I got one or the other of these most of the time!


Just today, I got word from his mother, Montie, about another, much more precious, "Brady story." Let me share it with you.



Yesterday as Brady and his parents left church (they now live in the Atlanta, GA area), Brady stopped them in the hallway and said, boldy, "I want to pray. Now." Remember, the opening question of this blog? He and his parents stopped right where they were, bowed their heads, and little Brady prayed, "Dear Lord, Thank you for Taylor, and Jack, Lee Ann, Thomas (...a pause...) Jefferson, and Martin Luther King. Amen." Now, I don't know Taylor, Jack, or Lee Ann, but they were important enough to Brady to include in a list of some pretty important people.


As I read Montie's note, my heart melted! No, not for Brady, but for the rest of us. We often take prayer for granted and never think of its importance. How many times have you wanted to stop and pray, but decided to go on with what you were doing and bring up this matter in your nightly prayers. Not Brady...he wanted to pray NOW! Isn't that what we need to do? An hour or a few hours may be too long to wait! We may forget what was on our minds, forget the person that we needed to remember, or disaster strikes before the sun sets. When is the "right" time to pray? NOW! Just ask, Brady.


Dear friend of mine, prayer is a powerful display of faith on the part of God's children, but it is, also, a powerful source of strength! Please...please, don't forget to pray NOW!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yep, prayer is the most undervalued asset we have and yet it may be the most powerful tool God has blessed us with! How often have we said, i feel so helpless, all i can do is pray! WOW! What a misunderstanding and lack of faith, of which at times i have been guilty of myself! GO Brady!