Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I Missed Another Funeral Today!

Tommy Palmer's funeral was held this morning and I missed it! Why does that bother me? Tommy was a first cousin of mine and he, my brother, and I have had some real times together over the years. Tommy lived in the little no stoplight town of Trimble, Ohio (that's fifty miles or so from Columbus, I think), but it was always a thrill to go see my Dad's sister, Aunt Ethel and all of her family.

Tommy was just one of those "good old boys!" Every bone in his body was made out of love for family and friends. Tommy was a Christian and in the past few years was the strength of the little church down by the bridge. The days we spent playing down by the creek, in the barn and lots of other places around that little town will long be a part of my childhood memories.

Why should I mention missing Tommy's funeral?

Because it reminds me that a lot of us who live in this area are separated from family and friends! Many of you are here serving in the military or supporting the military in some fashion. Some of you have chosen Williamsburg to be your home for your retirement years. Still others have relocated here due to their careers. Someone said, "There are not too many native Williamsburgers left!" There are a few, but not many!

I wonder how many of us know the importance of developing new and lasting friendships in our community of choice? My wife and I have no family closer than 360 miles from here which means that we don't see our family very often. Our grandchildren are more than 700 miles from here in middle Tennessee, so we only see them a couple of times a year. So, what does one do when he is separated from childhood friends and family?

That's right, you make new friends and develop another family!

Friends are made by being friendly. That's pretty easy! Being friendly is like a magnet that draws people to you. I did not say you "act" friendly, but you "become" friendly! There is a difference...a big difference!

As for family, Linda and I are blessed to be a part of a loving, caring and joyful church family! They are our brothers and sisters! We have a common Father, therefore, we are family. "Sometimes we laugh together, sometimes we cry. Sometimes we share together heartaches and sighs. Sometimes we dream together how it will be. When we all get to heaven...God's family!"

Will you be my "new" friend? Can we be a part of the same family? I hope so!

No comments: