Sunday, April 27, 2008

"Super Cold Vanilla Ice Cream Cone!"

After church this morning, Linda and I ate lunch at the Golden Corral on ByPass Road as we do quite often. It is not that quiet little romantic spot for two, but it is pretty much a "family affair" for us because we have been going there ever since it opened in 1997, therefore, we know nearly everyone on a first name basis. Anyway, today was a bit different! One of the servers knew that Linda's birthday was yesterday, so she had some of her coworkers sing "Happy Birthday" (Golden Corral rendition) to her. She was so embarrassed, but I loved it!


But, later, a beautiful blue-eyed little girl in a long blue dress caught our attention. She was sitting two tables away from us, but she was just a little doll! As I went by, I spoke to her mother and another lady with her and the little one's face lit up as she smiled! On my way back to my table, the child was eating an ice cream cone. That's when she yelled with great excitement, "Super cold!" That's all, "Super cold!" Everyone laughed at the joy such a little thing could bring into a child's life!


I began to wonder how nice it would be if we all could get so excited over something as simple as a vanilla ice cream cone! Sounds to simple, doesn't it? With so many other more important things in the world, an ice cream cone is just not worth our thoughts.

Wait a minute!


Maybe it is all those other things that are really less important! Those things that we can do nothing to alter even if we wanted to do so. I am so disappointed in the quagmire in Iraq that I wish I could get all those brave warriors home today, but I don't know how to do that and I am not sure anyone else knows how! I cannot change their situation. There are those who are hospitalized with painful terminal diseases that I wish I could heal, but I cannot! Families are mourning the loss of a father and grandfather, but I cannot remove the empitness they feel! The list is endless of things that I cannot do, but one thing I can do is have a "super cold vanilla ice cream cone!" I can enjoy this little bit of life's delight!


Can you take the time today or tomorrow to pause and enjoy the blessings of the present without spoiling that precious moment with thoughts of a regrettable past or a hopeless future? Can you? No, will you?


Hey, Dairy Queen's open right now! Anyone for a "super cold vanilla ice cream cone?"

No comments: