Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Tuesday Is "Senior Citizens' Day!"

Twice today I was reminded that this is "senior citizens' day" at some of the local stores. First, I saw Doug and Catherine going to Farm Fresh to "check out the specials" and, then I went to one of my favorite shopping places...the DAV Thrift Store! Yes, that's right, I like to shop at thrift stores! So, does my wife! I am amazed at the things people donate to various charitable organizations as many of them are in near perfect condition. Sometimes they still have the tags on them from where they were purchased. Today, the lady cashier, said, "Now theirs a gentleman that knows when to get things on sale!" I had no idea what she was talking about because how can you have a sale at a thrift store. It was "senior citizens' day," again!



As I checked out, I wondered what brought these people to a thrift store! The folk right in front of me spoke very little English, but were fluent in Spanish. Two young girls from the Far East were trying on shoes. Others were shopping for clothes, appliances, shoes, and toys. Obviously, I have no idea why all the others were finding their bargains at the DAV, but I know they were not too proud to shop where they could save a few dollars.



Pride is the sin of the age in my estimation. Pride is the epitome of self-centeredness. Pride's clarion call is, "It's all about me!"



If there is one human characteristic that is completely removed from the traits of Jesus, it would be pride! Never a more humble being ever walked this earth. He had no home...no place to lay his head down...nothing! But, even though he had nothing, he had everything! It all belonged to him! Jesus was a "giver," not a "taker!" He knew the folly of pride and we should discover it, also!



The wise Solomon said that "Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall!" Let each of us examine ourselves to see how close pride has taken us to destruction!



The thrift store is just down the street on Merrimac Trail...drop in sometime! (Tuesday is "senior citizens' day!" Pass the word along!)

No comments: